Melanie graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a BA in Psychology and earned her MA in School Counseling from Appalachian State University. She spent the first six years after graduate school as a middle school counselor. Those were years she deems as some of the best years of her life. That is, until she had children of her own. The last seven years have been spent as a stay-at-home mom. She has learned some tough life lessons, like what the inner absorbent pellets of a diaper look like scattered in the washing machine. She has also learned the strength of the willpower of a two year old lacking a nap. Through it all, Melanie has learned how to roll with the punches and appreciate the time she has been able to spend at home with her children.
Now that her last child has started Kindergarten, Melanie is ready to add a new chapter in her life. That chapter begins with her debut novel—So Much It Hurts.
In some ways, closing the book on my first love was the worst day of life. I was gutted, and yet I was completely at peace with my decision. I walked away knowing that I did what was best for her, unsure if I could ever recover.
Little did I know that one concert would change the entire course of my life.
2. I was adopted as a baby. I never knew anything about my biological family until five years ago my bio mom hired a private investigator to find me.
3. I have a phobia of butterflies…don’t laugh…ok, laugh. I know you probably already are anyway.
4. I always wanted to be a nurse when I grew up. I was even a candy striper at the local hospital when I was in high school.
5. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill. I was so homesick the first year that I almost quit and came home, but I didn’t.
6. I wish I knew how to read music.
7. I have a major celebrity crush on Channing Tatum.
8. I like strange food combinations, like Pineapple dipped in Ranch dressing. I also like to eat potato chips with French Onion dip while drinking a big glass of Orange juice.
9. I used to race Soap Box Derby when I was younger.
10. I was once a State Bowling Champion in my division when I was in middle school, but the last time I went bowling with my kids I barely scored 100!
11. I’m a stay at home mom with a Master’s degree…and I wouldn’t change a thing about that!
12. I detest laundry…don’t mind washing and drying, but I LOATHE folding and putting away.
13. My all-time favorite restaurant is The Melting Pot!
14. A few of my all-time favorite movies are: Titanic, Romeo+Juliet, 13 Going on 30, Saving Private Ryan, and Step Up.
15. Songs that always move me to tears are: Everything by Lifehouse, And Still by Reba McEntire, That’s Me by Martina McBride, Kissing You by Des’ree, and You’re Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins.
16. I have been an avid reader since I started reading The Babysitter’s Club books when I was younger. Some of my all-time favorite books are: What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? By Peter Hedges, Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman, The Giver by Lois Lowry, Dear John by Nicholas Sparks, The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller, the Faith on the Homefront Series by Penelope Stokes, and the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer.
17. I was Team Jacob BEFORE the movies.
18. When I retire my dream would be to move to FL and work at Disney World.
19. When I go to Sweet Frog, I always get the Cake Batter flavored frozen yogurt topped with Heath bits.
20. My first baby weighed 10 lbs. 7oz. He was the biggest baby my doctor had ever delivered.
21. The two songs I currently will not change the station for: Sail by Awolnation and Clarity by Zedd.
22. I’m growing my hair out to donate to Locks of Love. It’s almost long enough…
23. I currently don’t have any tattoos. A friend of mine keeps trying to talk me into changing that.
24. My first car was a 1995 Dodge Neon. My mom won the car in a contest! Crazy story…
25. I have always been one to love easily, forgive easily, and make friends easily…almost to a fault…